Saturday 28 June 2014

Dealing with Student Finance England

So I have my place at the University of Greenwich, now I need to finance it. I thought I could use the tax free bursary for this but I found out that the bursary will be paid out monthly and that I will need to stump up the £9000 fees on the day I register. Greenwich advised me to go for the student loan to cover the fees, so this is what I will do.

Step 1 (14 June) apply on line for the the fees loan repayable, at the same time I applied for living allowance as well.
Step 2 (18 June) gather and send off identifying documentation. Then (20 June) receive email requesting more information but no word of what this should be. Receive (21 June) back one item of the original documentation they requested, still 3 more original documentation pieces missing including a marriage
certificate! Contact via phone, told that the 'more information' was a form that requires a second person to confirm my identity, good job I work at a school where there are plenty of teachers around. Told this form will take 5 to 7 days to arrive. By 27 June this form has still not arrived, further contact via phone and it is re-posted.

28 June receive another letter requesting that I send my passport to them as they cannot identify my from the passport number I sent them. I am not surprised by the failure of this way of identifying me as I had not sent a passport number to them, it expired in the 1990s! In fact as I do not possess a current passport I deliberately did not send this information to them! They do confirm that they still have my other documents, but they require scanning which takes 8 to 10 days, I guess they scan at about 1 byte a minute!

Step 3: I hope this is the arrival of a decision regarding my loan. In all seriousness, I would advise anyone not to wait for A'level or Baccalaureate results before applying for student loans. It really does take a long time with many hoops to jump through before you are given a decision.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment